Life gets busy. Has The Art of Seduction been gathering dust on your bookshelf? Instead, pick up some of the key ideas now.
We’re scratching the surface here. If you don’t already have the book, order the book or get the audiobook for free to learn the juicy details.
The Art of Seduction is the second book released by Robert Greene. This book was released in 2001 to critical acclaim and became an international bestseller. It considers social power as being underpinned by seduction. Robert argues that seduction might be a subtle form of power, but it can have huge impacts. Seduction can topple empires, win elections, and enslave great minds. Seduction is one of history’s greatest weapons.
Robert Greene’s Perspective
Robert Greene is a highly successful American author. His books primarily focus on strategy, power, and seduction. Many of his ideas are supported by Zen Buddhist principles, as he is a student of Zen Buddhism. He is currently the author of six international bestsellers.
The Seductive Character
In this book, Robert describes specific characteristics associated with being seductive. To begin expressing seductive energy, you have to refine yourself into one of the multiple seducer categories.
This type of person is full of sexual energy. They express it openly and know how to use it to gain power. The name ‘sirens’ comes from the sirens of Odysseus. These sirens would lure their targets by teasing them with beautiful singing.
This type of person has an unwavering adoration for the gender they are attracted to. This desire is infectious and seeps into the people around them. Unlike most people, Rakes are unrestrained and open to being a slave to their desires. Rakes often have a reputation for being very sexually successful.
To adopt the Rake role, you want to focus less on what you say and more on how your words will make the other person feel. It is the form that matters, not the content. Also, you must let yourself go and get lost in sexual moments.
This type of person has an aesthetic sensibility that they apply to romance. Casanova is a perfect example of an Ideal Lover. After meeting a woman, he would study her and follow her moods. He would find out what this woman was missing in her life and provide it for her. In effect, Casanova made himself the ideal lover.
Importantly, to be an effective Ideal Lover, you will need to appeal to a higher standard than the person you are looking to seduce. If you do this, they will not even notice they are being seduced.
Dandies are fluid individuals who are happy to adapt. Fluidity and ambiguity are attractive features. Dandies are exciting because they cannot be categorized. Those you seek to seduce will be drawn to you as you display the freedom they wish they had.
Naturals are always spontaneous and open. They embody the longed-for qualities of childhood. As well as being spontaneous, they are sincere and unpretentious. They are accepting and joyful. Finally, Naturals use sympathy as a way to seduce. They display their weaknesses, which then act as a virtue. People will feel sympathetic to Naturals and will want to protect them romantically.
This type of person is always self-sufficient. They do not need you, and that makes you want them more. People who are easy to seduce are not attractive. As humans, we like a romantic chase. Coquettes’ most significant strength is how they can delay gratification.
Charmers will always want to know how they can please you. They are effective at satisfying as they are also very social. They will not argue or fight with people but instead charm their way out of difficult situations. This makes charmers naturally pleasant to be around.
Charismatics display illusive confidence. This confidence is created through Charismatics being highly intense but also detached. Combining these features means Charismatics make people think they know what they are doing. Charismatics are theatrical and uninhibited. They are the life of the party, and everybody loves them. They believe in ‘something’ and aren’t afraid to tell people. Along with these characteristics, Charismatics are also willing to be vulnerable. This vulnerability makes Charismatics very loveable.
Stars are the most mysterious type of seducer. They seduce people by offering them an escape from the difficulties of life. They promise fantasies and dreams. As well as guaranteeing the world, Stars make sure that they are also vague and ethereal. They try to keep their distance and, instead of giving people what they want, they let people imagine it.
These are the people who repel others. There are many different types of Anti-Seducer, but they all have one thing in common: Insecurity. We need to notice if insecurity is creeping into our character and remove them from our behaviors. If we can block our insecure thoughts and make sure they are not acted out, then we will instantly become more seductive. Here are some of the different types of Anti-Seducer that you might have come across:
- The Brute: They only want one thing, and they won’t wait. These people are arrogant but in an obnoxious way
- The Suffocator: They are clingy and over-the-top. They don’t even know who they are, let alone you. However, this doesn’t stop them from suffocating you
- The Moralizer: They show no independence in their thoughts. They will just drop their morals to do whatever you want them to do
- The Tightwad: Insecurity doesn’t just have to be emotional or sexual. If you are financially tight, then this is showing you are insecure
- The Bumbler: They are nervous when talking. They make others feel uncomfortable
- The Windbag: This person loves the sound of their own voice. They don’t ever listen to you and won’t shut up when they should do
- The Reactor: This person reacts terribly to being challenged
- The Vulgarian: This person doesn’t work hard to seduce you. They expect they have already won people over before putting any work in
Eighteen Types of Seducer Victims
If you can understand the different reactions to seduction, you will be better equipped to seduce people. You must see the reality of the person behind their appearance. A person might display themselves in a certain way but would like to be seduced by somebody who can challenge this. The most important tip that applies to all these types is, simply, never seduce your own type.
- The Reformed Rake or Siren – These people were once the seducers. They were extremely successful sexually, but they eventually had to give up this lifestyle. All you have to do with this type is cross their path, and they will allow you to seduce them. However, make sure you act like they are the ones doing the seducing
- The Disappointed Dreamer – These people were the introverted children when they were younger. They would delve deep into fantasy books and popular culture. Because of this, they often have lots of pent-up passions that they can release. They have great imaginations, so if you drop any hints their mind will run wild
- The Pampered Royal – These people were spoiled rotten when they were younger. They are just sitting around, waiting for their prince charming. They are searching for only one person who can give them what they crave. To seduce this type, you want to provide many distractions, such as new places to visit or novel experiences
- The New Prude – Prudery isn’t just about sex. A prude is somebody who worries about their appearance and doing things outside of society’s norms. However, this means that, deep down, they are excited by doing naughty things and naughty people. You can start seducing the New Prude by letting them criticize you
- The Crushed Star – These are the people who were once the center of attention. However, those days are gone. You can notice a Crushed Star by how they respond to attention in social settings. If they suddenly perk up when given the limelight, then you know they are a Crushed Star. To seduce them, you should be tapping into this. Make them the center of attention
- The Novice – The Novice is especially curious. They are innocent, yet they are interested in opportunities to be less innocent. You want to mix your qualities to seduce a Novice. You want to be playful but also childlike. Sinister, yet romantic
- The Conquerer – Conquerers have a remarkable amount of energy that can be difficult to control. Conquerors might seem shy and reserved, but you can tell if somebody is a Conquerer by their work and relationships. Conquerers love a chase, so try and be a little difficult to conquer
- The Exotic Fetishist – We are all interested in the exotic. However, the Exotic Fetishists take this to the next level. All of their choices in life seem to revolve around exoticism. These people often love to travel, adore music and art, and have a rebellious streak. The best way to seduce them is to become exciting and exotic yourself
- The Drama Queen – Drama Queens, as expected, love drama. If there isn’t drama in their life, they will be bored. Therefore, you sometimes have to start small arguments with these types to keep them interested
- The Professor – Professors analyze and criticize everything. They are highly intelligent and even love or sex are thought about logically. However, they yearn for pure physicality and passion. They want to be free of their mental prison.
- The Beauty – The Beauty gains power based on their looks. However, it also offers a source of unhappiness. They are constantly worrying about their power diminishing if they lose their beauty. Therefore, you should validate this person’s beauty and intelligence. Distract her from her insecurities and let her chase you.
- The Aging Baby – This is the type of person who just never grows up. They want somebody who can act like an adult figure. You must display a persona of being responsible and do not criticize their behaviors
- The Rescuer – These people have fantastic empathy. They listen well and always want people to open up and talk. Therefore, you should exaggerate your weaknesses. Don’t do this through overt words or gestures; just let them sense it.
- The Roué – This type of person has experienced many pleasures in life. They most probably have lots of money and might still be very wealthy. They love the young and innocent. You should try and appear innocent to seduce them and also resist their advances at first.
- The Idol Worshipper – These people are not satisfied being by themselves. So, they search for somebody to worship. Often these people pour their energy into a cause or a religion. You want to become the object of their worship. To do this, you should adopt their same passions
- The Sensualist – This group of people has overreactive senses. They will often be quite shy and reserved. To seduce them, you should take them to beautiful places and pay attention to details.
- The Lonely Leader – Leaders are often treated differently than other people. This can impact on their personalities and what they want. They want somebody who will act their equal or even superior. Acting blunt with them will come across as you being genuine
- The Floating Gender – These people dislike the burden of distinct genders. They will be searching for somebody who holds similar thoughts. Be welcoming and show them they can relax around you and be whoever they want to be. If you are not a Floating Gender yourself, then you should not be pursuing another Floating Gender
We rate this book 4.3/5.
Related Book Summaries
If you have feedback about this summary or would like to share what you have learned, comment below or tweet to us @storyshots.
New to StoryShots? Get the audio and animated versions of this summary and hundreds of other bestselling nonfiction books in our free top-ranking app. It’s been featured #1 by Apple, The Guardian, The UN, and Google in 175 countries.
Order the book or get the audiobook for free to dive into the details.