Overcoming Today’s Bs for Tomorrow’s Success
Life gets busy. Has The Decision been on your reading list? Learn the key insights now.
In The Decision, Kevin Hart describes how training his mental fitness helped him become the success he is today. He believes that anybody who follows the same mental fitness training regime will become a better version of themselves. Kevin provides a wide range of practical tips to help you reach everybody’s life goal: living for you.
Hart draws on his own experiences and lessons learned from his career in comedy and entertainment to illustrate the principles he advocates. He shares stories from his own life and provides practical advice on how to overcome fear, doubt, and uncertainty, and how to make confident and decisive decisions.
Through a mix of personal anecdotes, humor, and practical guidance, Hart offers readers a roadmap for overcoming the challenges and setbacks that can hold them back, and for achieving their goals and aspirations.
About Kevin Hart
Kevin Hart is an award-winning actor and comedian. Forbes named him the “king of comedy.” His filmography has earned over $3.5 billion at the box office. On top of this, Kevin is a television producer and CEO of Hartbeat Productions.
“Your life today is the sum total of your choices. So if you’re not happy with it, look back at your choices and start making different ones. Even if you are struck by lighting and injured, you made choices that led you to that spot at a particular time – and you get to choose how you feel about it afterward.” – Kevin Hart
StoryShot #1: The “Fuck Yes” Moment
Kevin starts the book by going back to his childhood. He describes his mom as having a significant influence on who he is today. His mom had a fantastic work ethic, and Kevin has followed in her footsteps. Having this work ethic means working your hardest in all you do, but it also means working on your mental mindset. Life is a constant series of decisions. Therefore, if you can bring a strong work ethic to your decision making and mindset, you will instantly improve your health and happiness.
The Art of Thriving
Kevin believes that becoming successful is easier than staying successful. Kevin believes his success is down to his hard work rather than his talent. However, as success is based on hard work, the difficult thing is maintaining this work ethic over a long period. If you start to slack, there will be others ready to work harder than you are. Therefore, when we become successful, we cannot take our feet off the pedal. We have to keep working hard so we can keep thriving.
Mental Strength Training
Kevin describes how people train their bodies physically but often forget to train their mental strength. Mental strength is about knowing who you are and accepting who you are. Once you have accepted who you are, you can utilize your mindset’s strengths rather than having a mindset that holds you back.
People can engage with mental strength training by staying calm and balanced during difficult circumstances. Hence, we shouldn’t shy away from mentally challenging encounters. Instead, we should use them as part of our training. If something negative happens in your life, you must try and stay positive. Staying positive, no matter what, is also part of your mental strength training.
StoryShot #2: Know Before You Go
Kevin describes 11 things that we have to release from our minds before we can better ourselves. Each of these things will hold us back in their own way.
- Jealousy – Other people’s possessions and accomplishments should not influence you. These things might not be right for you. You might work your whole life to have what somebody else has only to find you were happier before
- Perfectionism – No perfect person exists. Therefore, don’t strive for perfection, and don’t beat yourself up if you make mistakes
- Comparison – Comparing yourself to others, whether that is above or below yourself, will always take your focus away from where you need to be. All that matters is that you are doing your best
- Unhealthy Fear – People are lying if they say they have no fear. However, some fears are reasonable, and others are unhealthy. Unhealthy fears are those that get you worked up even if they’re not life-threatening
- Fear of Failure – One of the worst fears that plagues humans is a fear of failure. We have to let go of this fear so we can strive to be the best version of ourselves
- Resistance – Kevin defines resistance as taking yourself off the course of your original plan. We have to fight resistance and stop convincing ourselves that it is okay to betray promises we have made to ourselves. This betrayal will only make things difficult for your mind. Your mind loves familiarity
- Self-doubt – You should never doubt yourself. If you understand who you truly are and the strengths you possess, you can utilize your strengths across all circumstances
- Anger – Do not react to feelings of anger with aggressive behaviors. Instead, anger should be addressed through analysis and logic. Anger is the enemy of progress
- Blame – Playing the victim will not benefit anybody. You will be wasting time making excuses when you could be using the experience as an opportunity to grow
- Judgement of others – Those that judge can’t do and those that do don’t judge. Those who are successful are not those that judge others. Instead, they are living for themselves
- Self-judgement – Self-judgement should only be done productively. Judging yourself against others is not productive, and being harsh on yourself is also not productive. Instead, providing yourself with attainable goals and holding yourself to account is important
We rate this book 4.2/5.
How would you rate The Decision?
PDF, Free Audiobook, Infographic, and Animated Book Summary
Did you like what you learned here? Share to show you care and let us know by contacting our support.
New to StoryShots? Get the PDF, audiobook and animated versions of this summary of The Decision: Overcoming Today’s BS for Tomorrow’s Success and hundreds of other bestselling nonfiction books in our free top-ranking app. It’s been featured by Apple, The Guardian, The UN, and Google as one of the world’s best reading and learning apps.
Related Book Summaries
- Can’t Hurt Me by David Goggins
- The Obstacle is The Way by Ryan Holiday
- The Mamba Mentality by Kobe Bryant
- Open Book by Jessica Simpson
- Total Recall by Arnold Schwarzenegger
- 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do by Amy Morin
- Born A Crime by Trevor Noah
- Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss
- The Magic of Thinking Big by David J. Schwartz
- What I Know For Sure by Oprah Winfrey
- Becoming by Michelle Obama
- The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama